Thursday, November 11, 2021

Meteorite or Meteor-wrong?


I thought I had found some teeny meteorite fragments (see HERE), so I retraced my path along the same stretch of road.

Sure enough, my magnetic walking stick found some more magnetic grains. Some were smaller than before, but one was bigger. 

My most recent space rock candidates with a toothbrush for scale.


Maybe, I thought, the big one was big enough to grind a little to reveal the interior.

I'll call this big one "Biggie."

I used a nail file to scrape off some of the outer layer.


The Lunar and Planetary Institute recommends six tests to determine if a rock might be a meteorite. Here are the results on Biggie.

1. Does the sample have a black or brown surface? Yes
2. Is the sample solid, without pores or hollow vesicles? Yes
3. Is the sample heavy for its size? Not sure - too small to tell
4. If a corner of the sample is ground slightly, is the interior metallic silver? Yes - see below!
5. Is the sample unlike other rocks in the area? Yes
6. Is the sample magnetic? Yes


You can just begin to see a bright silver surface after light scraping.

Another view of the silver surface.


I passed 5 out of 6 tests. Maybe we have a winner? Stay tuned for more info as it becomes available.